Home storage units are great for storing your belongings, or that of a loved one, in a number of scenarios. Whether you’re moving house, relocating or travelling abroad or are looking to store excess ‘stuff’ that has been taking up space in your home… and your mind! When choosing to move your belongings into storage, there are a number of things you should first consider before signing on the dotted line. To make sure that you are armed with all the information you could need at your disposal, the team have pulled together to provide you with our guide on ‘everything you need to know about home storage units.
How To Choose A Home Storage Unit?
First things first, you have a number of questions that need answering to determine the type and size of your storage unit.
- What is your budget? How much are you looking to spend on storing your items? Our storage units are charged at a fixed monthly rate which is subject to the size of the unit you choose.
- How long are you looking to store your items for? Our storage units are charged for by the day, so you’re not locked into a monthly, quarterly or yearly contract, giving you full flexibility.
- What are you looking to store in your unit? Do your items have specific storage requirements?
- What are the additional benefits you would receive?
Once you’ve answered these questions, a few other factors you may want to consider include:
Making sure that your belongings are secure is absolutely crucial. Things to look out for when scoping a storage facility include:
- Is CCTV in operation 24/7 across the site?
- Is a member of staff always on-site during trading hours?
- Have other measures been installed to discourage theft?
- Do the storage units have security lock boxes to protect the padlock?
- Can your belongings be seen from the outside or is the unit ‘light tight’?
- Who has access to the storage facility? – You should be the only one with access.
At Fort Locks, the safety and security of your belongings are our number one priority. That is why we ensure that our home storage units are CCTV monitored 24/7 and that a member of staff is always on hand during trading hours. Our units are fitted with lock boxes and we also sell closed shackle heavy-duty disk padlocks for extra security. What’s more, you are the only keyholder to your storage facility, which means that you can be safe in the knowledge that no one else has access to the unit.
Maximising Square Footage
If you’re looking to make a major saving on your unit, you may be tempted to squeeze in as much as you possibly can. This, however, could actually make things much harder for you in the long run. Having everything crammed in could limit the access that you have to your belongings, and would mean that everything would need to be re-organised every time you need to take something out. The same goes for labelling. Not having your boxes labelled means that trying to find the Christmas tree decorations could take hours!
Using free-standing shelving units is a great way to keep your storage neat, tidy and organised – everything has its place! This also helps fragile items from being damaged. We would also recommend knowing exactly how much you need to store in order to determine the perfect size. The last thing you need is to arrive and find that you need to upgrade to a bigger space. You may find our ‘How Much Space?’ guide helpful! Most of all, because Fort Locks is a small family business with nearly 20 years of experience, we will be able to help you with judging the size of unit you need and also steer you to the best offers available.
Another tip we have is to sort through your items to dispose of any clutter or junk that is wasting space. Having a good clear out can result in you paying for a smaller unit, helping to save you more money!
Climate Control And The Environment
Another factor to consider is how the unit is designed to protect your belongings from the environment. Our storage units are sealed and watertight, and we also ventilate the units to allow some airflow, and insulate the units, helping to preserve the condition of your items. Our units are also raised off the ground, helping to ensure that the storage unit remains dry and ventilated.
The Proximity Of Your Unit
When you’re being shown around the storage facility, keep in mind that the one you are shown might not be the one you get! If you are planning on moving your items over a number of months, it is worth bearing in mind how accessible your unit is and confirming this with the facility before signing on the dotted line. The closer your storage unit is in proximity to your home, the easier and more accessible it is for you to move your belongings without hassle. At Fort Locks, all our storage units are easily accessible, in most instances, you can actually drive right up to your unit, which makes it really easy for loading and unloading.
No matter how secure your storage facility may be, it is standard policy across the industry that your goods must be insured whilst in storage.. At Fort Locks, we provide specialist self-storage insurance for your convenience, and to help keep your costs to a minimum, however, if you have already taken out a policy that is also not a problem!
What You Need to Know Before Packing Your Belongings
A few of our favourite packing tips include:
- Make sure that your boxes are tightly sealed. This will make it much easier when it comes to stacking and moving them into your unit. If possible, opt for ones that have a lid!
- Heavier items should be placed at the bottom, and lighter ones at the top.
- Make sure that you don’t pack your belongings into massive boxes. Instead choose a medium, more manageable size. This will make all the difference when it comes to heavy lifting! Especially if you are loading and unloading by yourself.
- Make sure to check what types of items you are allowed to store in your unit with the storage company.
- Do not pack wet or damp items as this will alter the environment of your storage unit, affecting the condition of your other belongings.
For more information on how to get everything ready for the big move, we have a full ‘packing and storing tips’ guide that you may find useful!
Home Storage Units With Fort Locks
We understand how stressful packing and moving your belongings can be. Many of your belongings will have sentimental significance and monetary value attached to them making it all the more important to ensure their safety. That’s why we provide you with secure, clean and dry home storage in our prime Banbury location. At Fort Locks, you benefit from free 24/7 access, amazing offers and low pricing, flexible rental periods, forklift services, and a team of friendly faces always ready to attend to your needs.
Calculate now how much space you need or get a quote from one of our experts to help you find the best unit for your belongings. Call us today on 01295 277 477, send an email to [email protected], or just pay us a visit at our Oxfordshire facility!